The Fall of Marath
The Fall of Marath is a paragon-tier campaign set in the Empire of Marath in the land of Illmere. The Empire has been in existence for centuries, ever since the First War of Shadow, founded by the champion of the Nine Kingdoms, Marath. United behind the Immortal Throne in the grand City of Fountains, Dor Parnassus, the Empire has flourished.
But the evil that was sealed away almost a thousand years ago is returning. The archdemon, Malakor, the Demon Prince of Corruption, presses his dark influence upon the land. Tendrils of his evil are beginning to affect the Material Plane: the dead are walking, unnatural weather scours the skies, food spoils without warning, and the land itself suffers.
As a paragon-level campaign, the adventures are built for level 11 and up characters. They are heroes of some import in the Empire, perhaps great champions or agents of the Emperor.Players in this campaign should choose from one of the following Backgrounds:
- Servant of the Empire
- You are a respected member of the Imperial Court, perhaps a trusted champion, a wise adviser, or a spy. You have spent your adult years on loyal service to the Empire.
- Wandering Crusader
- You are not bound to a single city or kingdom. People across the Empire have heard revered whispers of your name and your dedication to vanquish evil and right wrongs.
- Unlikely Hero
- You never intended to become a hero. You were content with your common life. But fate had something else in mind for you. Since then you’ve found yourself in the hero’s shoes, though you are still uncomfortable in the role.
- Ruthless Warrior
- Your name is known across the lands, often said with a touch of fear. You are not known for mercy, though those who know you know you get results. No matter the cost.
- You are not known in the Empire as you have only recently arrived in her borders. But the way you hold yourself reveals to the trained eye that you are no amateur, but an accomplished adventurer.
- Vassal Noble
- You are a highly respected member of the nobility, granted lands by your liege lord for exceptional service. Though your lands are not as important as others, you are expected to aid in the defense of the Empire.
- Famous Scion
- You are the child of a celebrated bloodline. Great things are expected of you. No one doubts your abilities, but the burden of expectation weighs heavily on you.
- You were exiled from the Empire for a crime decreed to be unforgivable. You have honed your skills beyond the Empire, but fate has called you back and your former homeland cries out for salvation.
- Touched by Evil
- Your life was affected by the stirring of Malakor. The event left your scarred and marked. Dark dreams haunt your sleep and you often find yourself overcome by disturbing visions.
Chapter 1: Seeds of Evil
Chapter 2: Descent into Madness
Chapter 3: Consolidation
Chapter 4: A Host of Ravens
Chapter 5: The Rok’kar Invasion